To quote Wikipedia under the title “Willie Horton”:

William R. Horton (born August 12, 1951) is an American convicted felon who, while serving a life sentence for murder (without the possibility of parole), was the beneficiary of a Massachusetts weekend furlough program. He did not return from the furlough and, ultimately, committed assault, armed robbery, and rape before being captured and sentenced in Maryland where he remains incarcerated. The controversy over Horton’s furlough became a major issue in the 1988 presidential campaign.

On October 26, 1974, in Lawrence, Massachusetts, Horton and two accomplices robbed Joseph Fournier, a 17-year-old gas station attendant, and then fatally stabbed him 19 times after he had cooperated by handing over all of the money in the cash register. His body was stuffed in a trash can so his feet were jammed up against his chin. Fournier died from blood loss. Horton was convicted of murder, sentenced to life imprisonment without the possibility of parole, and incarcerated at the Northeastern Correctional Center in Massachusetts.

On June 6, 1986, he was released as part of a weekend furlough program but did not return. On April 3, 1987, in Oxon Hill, Maryland, Horton twice raped a woman after pistol-whipping, knifing, binding, and gagging her fiance. He then stole the car belonging to the man he had assaulted. He was later shot by Corporal Paul J. Lopez of the Prince George’s County Police Department and captured by Corporal Yusaf A. Muhammad….after a pursuit. On October 20, Horton was sentenced in Maryland to two consecutive life terms plus 85 years. The sentencing Judge, Vincent J. Femia, refused to return Horton to Massachusetts, saying, “I’m not prepared to take the chance that Mr. Horton might again be furloughed or otherwise released. This man should never draw a breath of free air again.

So, incredibly, he was free from June 6, 1986, when released for a weekend furlough, until April of 1987, totally free for almost a year without being captured, until he committed aggravated assault, rape, and car theft in Maryland and was shot and captured by police and ultimately imprisoned for life with no chance of being furloughed or otherwise released. I wonder how many other crimes he committed, and who knows what else, during his almost year-long furlough?

Wikipedia doesn’t mention that Horton, unlike Abigail Simon, who must wear an ankle-tether 24-hours a day for the rest of her life, until she dies in her 70s or 80s or 90s or 100s, was not subjected to electronic parole-monitoring during his weekend furloughs. So every year, this monster, convicted of armed robbery and first-degree murder and sentenced to life in prison with no possibility of parole, was completely free and unsupervised for over 100 days a year and for over 300 days from June 6 of 1986 until April of 1987 when shot and captured by police and incarcerated in Maryland.

He could have raped and murdered 10-20 women during his almost year-long furlough and, since Massachusetts didn’t have the death penalty, he would not have been punished for these atrocities and perhaps dozens of other violent and mala in se felonies -and perhaps, given the lunacy of Dukasis and other left-liberals, might have even been given furloughs, completely free once again on weekends to commit even more rapes and murders and other crimes with no fear or possibility of additional punishment.

To quote Wikipedia under the headline “legislative and political background”:

Democratic Presidential candidate Michael Dukasis was the governor of Massachusetts at the time of Horton’s release and while he did not create the furlough program, he had supported it as a method of criminal rehabilitation. The state inmate furlough program, originally signed into law by Republican Governor Francis Sargent in 1972, excluded convicted first-degree murderers. However, 1973, Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court ruled that this right extended to first-degree murderers, because the law specifically did not exclude them. The Massachusetts legislature quickly passed a bill prohibiting furloughs for such inmates. However, in 1976, Dukasis vetoed this bill arguing it would “cut the heart out of efforts at inmate rehabilitation.”

The program remained in effect through the intervening term of Governor Edward J. King, and was abolished during Dukasis’ final term of office on April 28, 1988, after Dukasis had decided to run for President. This abolition occurred only after the Lawrence Eagle-Tribune had run 175 stories about the furlough program and won a Pulitzer Prize.

Unlike Willie Horton and myriads of other violent and dangerous criminals who were furloughed on weekends in Massachusetts and who knows how many other “progressive” states during the 1970s and 80s with no supervision or electronic parole monitoring -the overwhelming majority of them low-IQ brutes and savages with histories of violence and criminality beginning at age 13 or 14 or 15 and who, with almost no exceptions, committed dozens and scores of violent and mala in se crimes, including first-degree murders, for some even hundreds, including who knows how many while on furlough- Abigail Simon, during her 8-years of enslavement, at least, will not be granted even one weekend furlough, even though she has never committed a violence or mala in se crime in her life and never will and is not a “threat to society” or to anyone nor even a danger to “re-offend” by having sex with another young man under statutory age.

Her only chance to be released from prison for even a day or several hours is for the funeral or “sick bed visit” of an “immediate family member.” To quote the “Office of Legislative Corrections Ombudsman” under the heading “Funeral and Sick Bed visits”:

The following is based on Michigan Department of Corrections Policy Directive 04.04.140 “Funeral and Sick Bed Visits” The Warden may permit a prisoner to leave the facility under escort for the following reasons: 1. to visit a critically ill immediate family member in a hospital or medical car facility; or 2. to attend the private funeral of an immediate family member. Approval for sick bed and funeral visits is at the discretion of the warden. the warden is not required to to approve such visits.

So Abigail’s only chance of being released from prison for a maximum of 12 or 24 hours, on approval of the authorities, if a visit is over 500 miles round-trip, is if an ‘immediate family member” dies or is dying and the warden has the discretion not ‘to approve such visits.” And she must be “escorted” by off-duty correction officers not related to her by blood or marriage.

And I’m sure she’ll be chained like an animal or a feral male criminal, fast and strong and violent and dangerous, in handcuffs attached to a waist-chain and leg-irons during the entire 12 or 24 hours, certainly during the ride to the funeral or “sick bed visit” and back to the prison and likely also during the funeral or “sick bed visit” with the prison guards nearby to vigilantly protect the mourners and others present from a deviant and dangerous “sex-offender.” And will she also be required to wear an ankle-tether/”bracelet” -lest she escape, miraculously, and threaten all the children of Michigan from infants in their cradles to teenage criminals one day short of their 16th birthdays, and those of other states to which she may flee like Willie Horton.

So if one of her closest friends is raped and murdered by one or more of Michigan’s far-to-many Willie Horton-like criminals, Abigail won’t be allowed to leave prison for 12 hours to attend her funeral. And she could not leave the prison for even a few hours -her arms and legs in chains and wearing an ankle-tether and under the control and supervision of two armed correction officers- to attend her sisters wedding.